1/17/13

Making A Difference: Osman Canales



My name is Osman Canales and I was born in EL Salvador.

I'm a resident of the Town of Huntington and attend Suffolk Community College where I'm majoring in psychology. 

I am the founder and president of Long Island Immigrant Students Advocates, an organization that advocates for immigrant rights and access to higher education for all immigrant students.

What I like most about Long Island is its diversity and beautiful places. What I like least is its segregated communities.  

My message to young Latinos: Be proud of your culture and who you are; never forget where you came from; always remember what others did for us to be here; never give up on your dreams -- nothing can stop you from pursuing your dreams! Also, get active, give back to your community and advocate for the rights of Latinos, immigrants and all Long Islanders. 

(Know someone worthy of a mention on Latino Long Island? Let us know! Send your nomination as a 'Latino Long Island' Facebook page message, a comment on this blog, or via email to LatinoLINY@gmail.com. Thanks!) 

No comments: